Got the boards in yesterday, was feeling pretty confident about the design, so I ordered 20 this time. Lucky, the boards look good, and the first one I built fired up right away – whew!
Here it’s fully populated and mounted on an Arduino Duemilanove.
The new boards are a bit more packed than version 1 as they have a few more features. There’s a 5V 7805 regulator option, 2, 6-pin headers for an external LCD (with a contrast pot), and 4 mounting holes that match up to the Arduino boards. Quality looks good, these are from Accutrace here in the US – see www.pcb4u.com for info. Only 2 weeks as opposed to 4 or so from China.
With the boards packed, the clearances between the Arduino and the DG5 shield are tight – too tight in areas as is a usual issue with shields. I put a piece of electrical tape over the top of the USB connector, and trimmed the mounting tabs for the RCA connectors that protruded thru a little too far. I also covered the ICSP connector to keep it from touching.
Here’s the layout.
The 6 pin jumper cables I had are a little long, 12″ I think. I’ll be ordering up some 4″ jumpers that will make it easy to mount in a case.
If you’re interested in a board, leave me a note here and I’ll get in touch with you! I am working on the Bill of Materials for the complete kit – I had a lot of parts in my parts bin so I haven’t sourced everything, but most parts are available from Mouser, and a couple are from SparkFun (RCA connectors, LCD Jumpers, shield headers).